- Why would I want to work for Glacier Fish Company?
GFC takes great pride in our crewmembers and recognize each individual is vital to our success. In return, we offer competitive pay with generous health insurance benefits to all of our eligible employees as well as a 401K program. While the work is tough, the time off with family when the season is complete is an added bonus!
- How can I get an application and apply?
- How do I follow up on my application?
HR will contact applicants if/when they’re selected for an interview or to attend one of our weekly orientations, which are conducted by invite only. If the contact information has changed on your application, you MUST complete another application. Applications will stay on file for 1 year.
- What are the requirements to be hired?
When processing the application, we must be able to confirm 2 positive work references or a current GFC employee reference plus one positive work reference from former employer. You must be able to pass a post offer pre-employment drug test and physical.
- When will I get hired?
Fishing trips vary from vessel to vessel. It is difficult to predict how soon a position will become available.
- How long are the contracts?
Total fishing days vary from vessel to vessel but contracts tend to be approximately 2-3 months in length.
- Does the company pay for airfare to Seattle?
No, the point of hire is Seattle, Washington. Once a contract has been signed and the terms of the contract have been met Dutch to Seattle is paid for by the company as well.
- How do you pay?
Crew share or percentage of catch which is based on market prices.
- How many boats do you have, where do the vessels fish and what are the crew sizes?
- What hours and days will I work?
16 hours a day/7 days a week
- How long are your seasons?
All dates are approximate
Pollock: A season January 10-March 30, B season June 10-October 15
Pacific Whiting/Hake: Spring season May 15-June 5, Fall season October 15-November 15
H&G: January 10-November 15
- Are you hiring right now/when do you hire throughout the year?
We conduct Group Interviews/orientations once a week but hiring depends upon the needs of the vessel.
- What kind of experience are you looking for?
GFC is looking for people who can work hard with a positive attitude in a challenging environment. Our
crewmembers must withstand a cold, wet environment, long hours of repetitive and monotonous work, all while living onboard a vessel with a diverse crew and away from home for extended periods of time.
- Do I have to supply my own work gear?
Rain gear and boots will need to be purchased once onboard.
- What amenities does the company provide onboard the vessel?
Room, meals, and limited WIFI /email access
- Will I be able to call/email family and friends while working on the vessels?
Yes, phone cards are available for purchase and Wifi/internet access is available.